Ruby is an interesting web programming language that everyone should opt to try. For starters, it provides many web application solutions and helps in building web software and websites.
Editors you can use for Ruby Development
• Sublime Text
1. Learn all the essentials
In order to prosper in Ruby, you have to be ready. It involves both the hardware and software parts. Thus, you need to embrace diversity. It is also essential to know the front-end and back- end technologies.
Ruby being a back-end programming language, it is also important to know networks, servers, databases, HTTP, data modeling, version control system and other programming languages.
2. Build a foundation
After learning all this, you will have a strong foundation that will help you along the way. You also need to practice so that you can know all the details and loopholes. You don’t have to hurry while learning, you just need to take it slow so as to grasp everything well.
3. Focus on Ruby(on Rails)
In learning Ruby programming language, you need to start from scratch, get to know why the inventor, created it. What was his/her initial motive? This will help you know what you are working with and know why it is the way it is. The information may seem useless, but it is important to better your understanding. Remember to explore both Ruby (the language) and Rails (the framework). Don’t focus on one only.
Research is very important, through which:
• You will get to know new trends to follow
• You will know what is outdated
• You will get new sets of codes and their function
• You will manage to embrace new technologies
• You will be up to date
• You will know better ways of troubleshooting problems that you encounter
• You will know blog sites to follow and online coding sites
• Research also helps a developer to know do’s and don’ts
As you do your research, also remember to get more resources related to Ruby on Rails. You can buy e-books, get newsletters, and subscribe to blogs. In this way, you will be updated at all times. Also, do online courses; they really help after you acquire the knowledge.
Joining communities or forums is not a waste of time. Be assured that in the process, you will get someone who has the same kind of expertise as you. You can then work something out. Get rid of the myth that they are just a waste of time, No they aren’t. If you read biographies of highly successful developers, you will realize that it helped them a whole lot.
Every professional developer will tell you that it is through practice that they reached where they are at the moment. This is why they code every second of every day in order to stay on top of the code. Therefore, it is important to practice whenever you have the time. Don’t be too confident at first, do take baby steps.
6. Have a partner or Mentor(Developer)
Have a partner who is experienced in this kind of development. You can also have a mentor who you look up to. He/she can help you be better by giving you personal advice all the way. This will help in deepening your understanding.
19 Best tricks to use in your coding
1) By extracting data from text using a regular expression, using the string# [ ] approach is also essential. You can then match the data.
2) In Rails, there is a powerful set of internationalization tools, use them if you are not planning to translate.
3) Another trick is to cut down on local variables definitions. You should define them on the go rather than on the initial content.
4) Another symbol you should use is | | = . It helps in writing concise code.
5) For the hash keys, you may use non-strings or symbols. However, this is not compulsory.
6) For the hash, you can create a hash from a list of values by using Hash[..] 7) Increase your use of the -> sign. (Lambda Literal) and (**) double star.
8) It is advisable to handle both the single object and array in the same way.
9) Always remember to delete files when required. This is also enabled by FileUtils.
10) You can easily generate an array of alphabets from (a to z) or numbers by using the Ruby ranges.
11) Create your own objects
12) By using schema, you can easily keep an eye on your models.
13) It is essential to make use of RubyGems (acts like a library), Bundler (it is a tool that handles dependencies and gems), Git, Github and RVM (helps to manage multiple ruby versions on the same machine).
14) Minimize your use of ‘while’, ‘for and too many arrays
15) Use the shortcut for Array#join more often. For example, Array#* helps in multiplication of the size of the array
16) Another trick is to format decimal amounts and interpolate text in the quickest way possible, but carefully.
17) If you don’t use mandatory hash parameters, the function may refuse to work.
18) For the Hash concept,
• learn to assign default values for undefined keys,
• learn how to use Hash#keys and Hash#values
19) By using scopes you will be able to write queries inside of the model. The codes will also be neat and labeled clearly.
If you haven’t started using Ruby on Rails or learnt it, be sure to start. Its various benefits include:
• It saves on time; its rail framework helps reduce the amount of code that you will have to write.
• As a developer, you can easily move between projects with the same structure.
• With Ruby on Rails, you can easily build your own plug, website and applications
• Its support and community are always helpful.
• Ruby code has easy readability and good testing frameworks
• It is an awesome pick for web technologies
• It saves money as it saves on parts of web projects.
• The ruby programming process is fast.
I hope by this article, you will be able to have a better glimpse of Ruby on Rails. It is awesome and you will enjoy your coding at all times. Don’t forget to always be up to date. The tips and tricks will help make your coding experience simpler and more enjoyable.
Remember, getting expert advice is very important, and getting a partner or mentor you should be on your “to do” list. He/she will guide you along the way and make sure you don’t fall at any step of the way.
All the best and happy coding.