Visibility is critical to business success, especially in e-commerce. When planning your website’s Custom Magento Development, don’t forget about SEO.
Impact begins with these Magento SEO tips, that any store owner can apply to increase search engine visibility, drive organic traffic, and improve SEO rankings. Greater visibility leads to more traffic and the best result — more sales.
- Organize website architecture. Creating sound website structures is easy with the use of a variety of Magento categories. It’s important to have proper website architecture — silo architecture is a simple example. Siloing is grouping related information into distinct sections within a website and by doing so, website content is more easily searchable.
- Create friendly URLs. People, and search engines, understand site.com/womens-clothing/ a lot more than site.com/id-8. Using friendly URLs will help ensure easier recognition, both by customers and the search engines that connect your customers to you. URLs without codes are best.
Follow these steps to tidy up URLs: Stores => Configuration =>Web =>Search Engine Optimization => URL Options, and then set Add Store Code to “No.” Product/category codes will not be automatically added to your URLs once this is saved, improving the SEO of the site. URLs can be organized and cleaned by going into Search Engine Optimization menu, change Server URL Rewrites to “Yes.” The phrase “index.php” will be removed from your URLs.
- Systemize the sitemap. Mapping out a website allows for search engines to find and index pages. They’re quick and easy to create. With some simple steps, you can generate a Google sitemap on your site, helping provide information about site links for search engines to inspect.
- Go to Marketing => Site Map => Add new.
- In Filename, type “sitemap.xml.”
- In Path field, fill out with the directory on server that the sitemap.xml file will be saved.
- In Store View, select the store view you set up the sitemap.
- Save and Generate.
- Rank with robots.txt. Search engines know which pages should and should not be indexed based on robots.txt. They help search engines concentrate on the most important pages only. For example, technical pages should be closed from indexation.
- Optimize with meta tags. When adding content to a site, many shop owners avoid filling out the meta tags, but don’t make this mistake.
Meta tags help to better position content in a search. When you edit a page, simply go to open «Search Engine Optimization» section and add text to «Meta Title» and «Meta Description» tags.
Remember, Meta titles and descriptions should be keyword-rich and unique. Put important keywords near the beginning of your title and don’t forget that they must be simple and clear for users to read. There are limitations: for title – 70 symbols, for description – 150-160, so be aware.
- Add Google Analytics. This powerful, and free, tool allows tracking of website visits, clicks, net time and more. Even those with little to no experience can find valuable information and use it to improve their website. Follow these steps to add Google Analytics:
- Create an Analytics account and add your website to your reports by searching for “Google Analytics” and adding a new account in the Admin section. This is a quick registration and all it requires is your site’s name and web URL. Google will then assign a new UA number to your account.
- Copy the UA ID that Google provides. This number is used for tracking later on - keep it safe.
- Go back to your Magento dashboard. Select the “Stores” section and click “Configuration.”
- Scroll down and click the “Sales” tab from the left menu.
- Scroll down the list after expanding “Sales” and click “Google API.”
- Click to expand “Google Analytics” and select “Yes” from the “Enable” drop down window.
- In the Account Number field, paste the “UA” code you copied from Google earlier.
- Click the “Save Configuration” button on the top right of the screen.
- Avoid Duplicate Content. Website page duplicates are terrible for website rankings. When information is found twice on one page or throughout multiple pages it is considered duplicate content. Google doesn’t appreciate sites with duplicate content. To solve this problem, go to System =>Configuration =>Catalog =>Search Engine Optimization and set Canonical Link Meta Tags for Products and Categories to Yes.
- Image optimization. Correct optimization of images gives websites higher positions in search results. Don’t forget to optimize product images on your site. Make sure that titles can tell you about the meaning of images, other than a series of meaningless words and numbers. Similar to other titles, an image’s title should contain relevant keywords. Alt tags are as important as a title and URL.
Although any Magento admin or store owner can apply these fundamental steps, that lay a solid SEO foundation, it’s still wise to hire an experienced SEO professional that can take things to the next level.
Making your Magento website more SEO friendly takes time, and consistent work, but the effort is well worth it. By following these 8 strategic steps, you can begin to improve your website’s visibility and help improve your business. So, what are you waiting for?