Engaging in back end development requires having strong skills in most programming languages and basics of front-end development. This is because as a Java back-end developer you will have to focus on the background technologies, unlike the front end developers who only focus on what is being seen. As a Java back end developer, you have to be familiar with SQL, MySQL, JMS, AQMP, API’s, Java and web services.
Programming languages needed by a Java Back end developer
For starters HTML simply means Hyper Text Mark-up Language. Html knowledge is the root of all types of coding. A web page mainly comprises Html and all other coding, without its tags a web page cannot exist. Thus, Java developers usually generate an HTML document by simply writing codes that enable the function. Thus it is vital for a Java developer to have a deep understanding of HTML.
CSS which means Cascading style sheet is the mother of all types of styling in a page, app or any developed technology. It is important for a Java back end developer to understand what each tag function does. CSS helps to give a web page a touch of beauty; it adds taste to the page or app. You can change the fonts, font-color, back-ground color, background image and other styles using the CSS language.
Obviously you need to know Java. Being a Java back end developer doesn’t mean a totally different thing, it is all the same. You also need to be familiar with all the Java Frameworks together with Java Servlet API.
3. Java Frameworks
Java Frameworks normally lessens work of writing codes. If you opt not to use a framework, you will write a lot of codes that a framework would have easily done for you. There are various types of Java frameworks that a back end developer can use. These include;
• Spring Framework mainly used for creating large scale web apps. It is popularly used due to its ease of use and flexibility. It has Spring; MVC, Security and Data. They all have different functions that enhance Java development while building apps. Grails is another Java application framework that is built on spring that has an awesome community support. As a java back end developer it is important to try out the framework and learn its use.
• The JBoss Seam is as popular as spring. It has almost the same functionalities as spring and has a close foundation as spring. It provides awesome end results and has a great performance. It has an excellent community support and is easy to use.
• The Play is another Java framework that came up just recently. It hasn’t yet laid a foundation but it still serves its purpose well.
• The Spring Roo Java Framework is another Java framework that has not been embraced fully but is on the right track of gaining importance. However, it functions almost the same as Grails.
4. HTTP/HTTPS (Client- side server)
It means Hypertext Transfer Protocol. Whenever you load a particular website in the browser it always shows http or https on the URL address. This is what propagates communication between the web server and client side. As a Java Back end developer be assured that you won’t escape having knowledge of Http. It is equally as important as everything else.
5. Java Application servers
As a Java back end developer, you still need to know the application servers. These servers provide the run-time systems for Java applications in the web. Over the years they have been modified to increase their ability
6. Back end technologies
These include Relational Database Management System, Java Message service and Java Database Connectivity.
Qualities you should possess as a Java Back end developer
• You should be familiar with the Java language, framework, client-side and server side.
• Java Developers never give up even when something refuses to work. You should strive to solve the line of code that is messed up.
• You should embrace all ideas that come to your mind and try to make them a reality.
• Strive to apply modern technologies and be up to date. In addition, be skilled in object oriented design patterns.
• Being a developer you should be a good communicator. You should know how to build something that will communicate well with the users.
• As a developer, patience is an important quality. You may build something and it may stop working at some point, you need to be persistent and patience till it gets back on track.
• You need to love programming, coding and obviously be keen. Small punctuation like a semi-colon can mess up a whole code file.
• As a back end developer, you need to be organized while writing your codes, they need to be arranged in the right manner to ensure you don’t get mixed up when a certain function stops.
• It is vital to know that as programmer you need to know how to build algorithms.
• Be creative, imaginative and do enough research on all the areas. Being up to date will let you know the best framework to use and current trends.
• A back end java developer needs to be flexible and open to new ideas.
Vital concepts that you need to know:
Abstract interfaces, OOPS concepts, File IO, Constructors, Specifiers, Java Keywords, Memory Management, Synchronization, Generics, Protocols(HTTP), Web frameworks, Web services, Markup languages, sockets, SQL queries and cursors. However, it depends on the specific thing one wants to specialize in.
Thus, you need to be sure when deciding to follow the path. At the end it will be as easy as A, B, C but it requires a lot of effort in the long-run. Learning all the skills is important and compulsory. Joining communities also plays a big role in making one be more skillful and knowledgeable. Java Back end development is interesting if you are great in Java.
In order to be a Java back-end developer, you still need to know all the basics of the other languages. It is good to focus on one language and be perfect at it, but being diverse is also important. You will manage to know what can blend in with this and that. It is also important to subscribe to various sites where they offer Java information, join Java communities and always check the Java support site. You need to be updated at all times.
Some tools a java developer can use are; JavaFx, Eclipse, JUnit, FindBugs, VisualVM, HiberNat, Gradle, JavaDoc