If you are into IT then you are definitely familiar with this term. DevOps can be described as practices that are used to develop software. These practices combine both information technology operations and software development to reduce the life cycle of the systems development while also at the same time delivering fixes, features, and updates that are in close configuration with business.
There are IT experts who have been working with DevOps for a number of years now and have somehow gained the wisdom of handling it. However, the methodology, process, tools, and technology still have a long way to go for it to reach maturity. This means that there is untapped potential and more change is to be expected. DevOps being an algorithm only means that its purpose is to change and evolve over time.
Let us take a look at some of the trends that you can watch out for:
1. Increase in ROI
The more it is used then there will be a higher return on investment in processes, containers, micro-services, and methodologies. It is no doubt that these components are sure to find a broader adoption and as more companies develop an interest in their applications, there is no doubt that there will be an increase in results.
2. Increase in DevOps awareness
As more companies use it and reap from its benefits, the good news will spread and soon everybody will be talking about it and will want to give it a try too. Some companies today have already included security in their software development life-cycle. This makes it a cultural challenge too.
3. The Decrease In Safety Nets
Software developed with DevOps has greater speed and agility. They, in turn, deploy more frequently, faster, while at the same time improve stability and quality. Before IT experts had a risk management plan but with time this will also be a thing of the past especially if there are no catching issues.
4. Increase In Interdependence
This system is set to knock down IT bottlenecks and silos that were traditionally used. This will be because of the growing interests and the evolution of DevOps culture. The technology works best when paired up and planned with ongoing management. The shift towards micro-services is one of the biggest factors that is impacting DevOps and teams will help to fuel the ever-increasing pace so that they can be able to manage the complexity of micro-services architecture.
Why Is DevOps Essential To Digital Transformation?
The digital world is ever growing and more is to be expected and that is why adopting DevOps is necessary now more than ever. It will allow more software to be developed and in shorter cycles, because it will break down any barriers between operations and development. The software will also be deployed faster into production. This, however, needs a horizontal view that defying years of IT technology.
This is the best way that you can get started on DevOps. Your IT expert must first clear in their support for it and at the same time evangelize its value. This will give teams a good feel of its tools and processes. Companies are able to find their own unique rhythm and tools through an iterative cycle of deploy or develop. Once the pilot phase is complete the processes can now be scaled up to mission critical. It is in this stage that you need to have a solid DevOps automation and implementation strategy so as to ensure a reliable development process.
Building The Right DevOps Center Of Excellence
One of the best ways to adapt to this change in the IT industry is to have your very own DevOps center of excellence. Here are some of the things that you should consider.
• Learn as much as you can about the business processes. This should help you determine your first use case and know your specific project goals. Know the outcome of what you are trying to achieve and share it with your team.
• Accept that the business will be involved. Switching to DevOps is not an overnight thing and will require time. Know the technology you need.
• This concept can either succeed or fail depending on the starting set of functions, therefore, you need to choose the right use cases. Choose wisely as this is part of the transformation of the leadership concept. You also need to be aware of the functions that need to be cost-effective as opposed to those that will be differential in any way.
• Having the right team is very vital when you are coming up with your center of excellence. Get a team that has the right tech and business skills. The fastest way to do this is to hire a new team that willfully concentrate on working on the project. Please note that you do not need many people just the right skill set.
Once you have set up a working DevOps system you should them measure its success. This you can do by the use of metrics. You should be able to gather data on bugs fixed, speed, commits, and transactions per second. The kind of metrics that will work might be different from the data you collect in these ways:
1. Do not have too many metrics. Have at least 10 or less
2. The metrics should reflect the most important information for you
3. They should be in connection with the business outcomes
4. Have a traceable path that can create the root cause
As DevOps blossoms, companies have changed their way of operation and are in fact hiring more qualified experts in their IT departments. This means that there are a lot of good things that are yet to be expected. The mixture of talent, experience, and the right set of skills will definitely be fun to watch as well as trends come up in the IT industry. This means that, the best time to get your company in this new wave of technology in now so that you can have a chance to evolve with digital technology.