In web development, one can specialize in being a front end developer, back-end developer or full stack developer. That’s precisely the broader aspects. Moreover, you may decide to specialize in certain programming languages and choose either of those three. For example, you may become a C+ back end developer or Java back end developer.
Front end developers mainly deal with the client-side (What is displayed, seen). The Back-end developers mainly deal with the server-side (What enables more complex functions). A full stack developer has both the characteristics and responsibilities of the back-end and front-end developer.
ii. What is back-end development
iii. Duties and responsibilities of a back-end developer
iv. Skills needed by a back-end developer
v. Important languages to learn
Let’s narrow down to Back-end development
If you want to start as a back-end developer you need to
• Know what it is all about
• Know the skills needed
• Know the responsibilities and duties
• Learn the languages needed.
• Then you may engage in it.
What is Back-end development?
Back-end development mainly deals with the server side of a web page or application. Thereby, a back-end developer is responsible of making sure what happens in the background is correctly configured.
Just like in a theatre, it is hard to know what the cast are doing in the backstage, but you only see what they present. The same thing applies to back end development. In this case what is presented is the front-end and the back-stage is the back end.
However, even though the developers have different functions, they need each other. The front-end developers need to bring out the outward appearance while the back-end has to make sure nothing is a miss. They are the ones responsible of transmission of databases.
Back-end developers are also the determiners of the speed and efficiency that will be there. They optimize images, links, content and media to make sure the app or web page loads fast. In addition, they tend to compress large files and folders.
Duties and Responsibilities of a back-end developer
• Back-end developers are the ones responsible of optimizing webpages and apps to make sure they load fast when clicked.
• This developer are also responsible of managing the databases (where information is stored; for example subscribers to a site) It is through the database that one can note a wrong deed that was performed.
• Detect any miscellaneous activity going on in the website or application and solve it. They need to do enough research so as to know how to solve this and that.
• They are also responsible of accessing all the information provided by the user. They also need to gather all the information provided and combine it for uniformity. This mainly applies to the database.
• Ensure they put technologies that will ensure privacy of all the information provided. Let’s take an example of an online store, buyers normally register to create accounts and make transactions of purchase through there. If there is a hacker somewhere, he/she can easily access the site and do inappropriate practices and get ATM cards information and end up robbing an innocent buyer.
• As a back-end developer you need to be familiar with creation, integration and management of the databases. For example MySQL.
• It is also the role of the developer to know how to use the frameworks that will enhance building of server side software.
• A back-end developer should also know how to develop, deploy and manage content management systems. These include Joomla, WordPress, Drupal, ecommerce systems.
• It is also essential to know how fire base, API and cloud systems work. This is because as a back-end developer you will have to integrate cloud systems.
• As a back-end developer you need to be proficient with how to back up and restore systems, websites ad apps.
Skills needed by a Back-end developer
• Have full knowledge of the programming languages, but can specialize in a specific one. This is because they tend to function all the same. It is also important to be familiar with the frameworks that will lessen the codes you will write.
• You also need to be familiar with the hosting process.
• Need to know various ways of troubleshooting problems that may arise.
• Adequate knowledge of security systems
• Need to be up to date with all the tools and technologies being used in the development industry.
• Knowledge of how to store data and information
• It is also important to know Search Engine Optimization.
• Lastly one needs to be a good communicator, listener and problem solver.
Advantages of being a back-end developer
• You will be able to access the back-end of any website or application
• You can easily note whenever someone tries to hack into the system
• You will be a step ahead to being a full stack developer
• Back end developers are more in demand than front-end developers
• With all the knowledge at the tip of your fingers, you will easily be able to build anything.
• Many clients will easily flock
There are many resources available for back-end developers.
Important languages to learn and use in back-end development
1. Front End Technologies
When choosing a specific programming language, you need to find one that won’t disturb you at all. It should be easy to implement and correct. Codes are fun to write, but wait until a function stops. Some of the most popularly used Back-end development languages include Python, Java, SQL (Database), Ruby on rails and PHP.
Ruby is essential for building logic on the database side. It mainly deals with performing database and back-end functions. It is easy to learn, use for startups and leads to high-traffic demands. In addition, it also has frameworks that reduce the codes you will have to write.
Just like PHP, Perl is also useful in programming database integration. Perl is also an open source system which is object-oriented like Ruby.
4. C language and C++
Both of them have the same functions. They are among the earliest programming languages that were innovated.
Python helps in enhancing readability and simplicity. In addition, it is easy to learn and use. It is a scripting language that was among the first to be made. It works great in object-oriented designs.
It comprises of a large ecosystem with software components. It has an easier learning curve unlike C++. Just like Ruby it also has its Java frameworks that lessen the coding process.
It is among the most popular languages on the web. It mainly deals with integrating data to the database. It also ranks high among the most widely used languages on the web.
After gathering all this and acquiring all that you need, you may then classify yourself as a back-end developer. It is also important to do enough research so as to know if this is the right path to follow or not. You need to do development with passion, commitment and responsibility. If you are impatient, you better start changing. Writing codes needs a lot of persistence and patience.
Before deciding to become a back-end developer, always remember you must be good at front-end technologies. Front end technologies lay a foundation of what should be done in the back-end. There are many resources and support on the internet that can play a major role in helping you figure out what you want to do. As a back end developer, you will also need to choose what you want to specialize in. If you are good at C, do it, if it’s Java, do it. There is no limitation.
Good luck in your new venture.